Work is underway for the New Residence Hall at the University of Oregon campus in Eugene, Oregon! WALSH is excited to be teamed up with Mahlum Architects on another exceptional student housing project. Completion of the new residence hall will give the university enough on-campus residential space for incoming freshmen to allow renovation of some existing, older residence halls to modern standards. The new, as-yet-unnamed, hall is expected to open in fall 2017.
The program recommendations include the following:
- 500 plus beds including Resident Assistant Rooms, two professional staff apartments and a Resident Faculty Apartment.
- Consistent room layout that contains double rooms with an internal bathroom.
- Academic Program Space in the form of a flexible learning commons
- Approximate 145,000 gross square foot building area
- 5 over 1 construction basis for structural design
- Possible parking replacement for spaces lost due to development (this work will take place outside of this contract)
- Open Space Development as required by the Campus Plan
- LEED Gold Certification and other requirements as defined by the Oregon Model of Sustainable Development, within the Campus Plan.
- Project design and construction to accommodate the ceremonial needs of the adjacent Many Nations Longhouse directly to the north of the site.Rendering courtesy of Mahlum Architects.